Who was Curry Slaymaker?

He was not known for doing anything remarkable as far as I know before he went to Peru for the second time. He grew up in the small town of Rainier Oregon. He played sports in high school and went to a 2-year college before joining the Peace Corps. After completing his term with the Peace Corps, he was drafted into the Army and served in Vietnam. He then studied biology at Southern Oregon State College in Ashland - then returned to Peru in 1972. It's known that he climbed Mt. St. Helens during his late teens or so - but he probably didn't do any other serious snow or glacier mountaineering until after 1973 when I met him in Peru and sold him my ice axe and crampons.

What he did in Peru was quite remarkable. He wrote letters and talked to government officials about the need to obtain funding for the formation of the National Park. He stayed there promoting the park with apparently no salary for a year until the government came through with $100/month for his work. He personally surveyed to establish the park boundaries. He worked with the local people and presented his photos at many slide shows to build awareness that the mountains and their flora and fauna were a unique gift they needed to protect. The administrators of Parque Nacionál Huascarán in Huaráz consider that he was "the father of the park".


I have written a brief account of Curry's life, death, his work in Peru, and my experience in meeting him back in 1973. Click here to read this account.

Monday, May 4, 2009

What Motivated Curry?

I would appreciate input from others who knew Curry regarding what they think motivated him: First to join the Peace Corps; Then to go back and ultimately complete the work of creating Parque Nacionál Huascarán. I visited his brother, Neil Slaymaker, at the Oregon Veterans Home on May 2, 2009. He had little insight on this, although, apparently the fact that their father, Maurice who ran a feed and seed store, was closely connected with the agricultural community in Rainier Oregon had something to do with his interest in plants and botany. Also - I have found out from Darlene Witham Pearce at the Rainier Methodist Church where Curry's mother was active that she was a very committed gardener. That says something about plants - but what about mountaineering, travel, and living so far from home? Did he have an early interest in such things? Neil says that he climbed Mt. St. Helens once - probably when he was in high school or shortly after. But that appears to be the only mountaineering he did until after I met him in Peru in 1973 and sold him my ice axe and crampons. Apparently Michael Rourke taught him most of what he knew about climbing - but I believe that Michael was also relatively new to mountaineering when he died.

Any other information on what motivated Curry to do the incredible things he did would also be welcome. Neil said he thought Curry hitch-hiked to Peru once from the states. Does anyone else know? I don't remember that he said anything about that when I knew him - It seems he would have said something - as that's how I got there and not even then in the hayday of hitchhiking was it very common to go that far on the thumb.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I posted a comment then noticed it was under my daughter's name (Tiffany) rather than mine. But I don't know if it went through or not. I am a friend of Curry Slaymaker's from the '70's when we attended the same college. I am just heartsick, after looking for him for so long, to find that he was killed in an accident. But I'm thankful he was doing something he loved to do. Would so much rather have found him alive and well, though. Thank you for posting this blog. I will share it with our other college friends. Thanks, too, for the picture posted of Marc and Curry, which led me to this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you visited Neil. I had thought he'd been killed in an auto accident while helping a stranded motorist, but perhaps he was in a coma and I never knew that he came out of it. He is in a Veteran's home, according to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent the summer of 1975 climbing with Curry and Michael and have a lot of photos of them and would like to pass them on to Nora and Michaels daughter. Does anybody know how to get ahold of them? dlangmade@mfmca.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a year ahead of Curry in high school. Send me your postal address and I will send you a letter. I believe I can offer some insights for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard,
      So sorry I took so long - only 7 years - to respond to this. I don't look into these comments very often and I don't get notifications. If you get this, you can send me an email at lewscholl@gmail.com, or write me at 523 NE 91st Ave Portland, OR 97220

      Delete
  5. richard,
    Sorry for the slow response. I would like to forward some photos of Curry and Michael to their family members
    Dan Langmade
    5960 W. Washington St.
    Phoenix, AZ 85043

    ReplyDelete